During Halloween there is nothing scarier than knowing that your child and other kids in your neighborhood will be over loading on sugary sweets. As a health and wellness counselor I feel I can promote healthy eating by handing out healthy sweets to children on Halloween. I looked for healthier options and found some pretty awesome treats without all the sugar, that are gluten free and still taste great. Your child will not notice the difference between these candies and the average Halloween sweets they get every year. Following is a list of delicious, healthy wholesome treats for your little ghouls and goblins.
- Organic Fruitabu Smooshed Fruit Flats, Rolls and Twirls: Made with over 90% organic fruit and no artificial additives the tasty flavors available are apple, raspberry, strawberry and grape. Available at whole foods supermarket or on line at drugstore.com
- EnviroKidz Organic Peanut Choc Drizzle Rice Bars:They are organic, have 0 grams Trans fat, are low sodium, gluten free and have no artificial flavors or preservatives. Plus, 1% of sales go to endangered species or habitat conservation and education for kids. Available at Wholefoods supermarket or Amazon.com
- Most soy snacks can contain up to 7grams of protein and are not loaded with bad fats. Available at genisoy.com or Whole foods supermarket
- Organic Dark Chocolate Bug Bites: These delectable treats are made of 70% cocoa content, certified organic, vegan, gluten-free and kosher and there is a bug trading card included in every piece. This antioxidant rich dark chocolate contains a healthy dose of flavonoids. Available at chocolatebar.com, whole foods supermarket and amazon.com
- Surf Sweets Halloween Sour Worms: Made with organic sweeteners. These sour worms are vegan, organic, gluten-free, and casein free, made in a nut free facility. These individually wrap surf sweets Halloween sour worm’s uses natural ingredients like black carrot juice concentrate and turmeric to color candy, and organic fruit juice to sweeten. Each one contains 100% vitamin C per serving. Available at whole foods supermarket and surfsweets.com
- Figamajigs: Flavors include almonds, raspberries and mint. This decadent snack is filled with natural ingredients mostly figs, premium dark chocolate and cocoa. They are low fat, high in fiber and antioxidants and were named healthiest candy of 2006 by Forbes and given the Healthy Snack Award by Shape in 2007. Available at figamajigs.com and whole foods supermarket.
- Annie’s Homegrown Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks: These individually wrapped gummy treats are a spooktacular alternative to other fruit snacks. Each treat is made without the use of gelatin. These tasty treats are organic, vegan, and gluten-free. Great for kids with allergies. Made with real fruit juice and packed with 100% vitamin C. Available at Annie’s.com, Amazon.com and whole foods supermarket.Note: Gummy candies are a choking hazard for little children these are not suitable for children under age 4.
It’s not hard to make Halloween a healthy and fun event with these alternative treats. This Halloween you can plan for a healthy season, with these awesome healthy options you won’t feel you have to deprive your children of the whole frightfully fun Halloween candy experience.