If you’re watching your weight, Thanksgiving can be the beginning of a very stressful holiday season. With so much yummy food and treats, it’s difficult to keep your healthy habits in check. Usually from Thanksgiving to the rest of the holiday season we tend to overeat and then feel guilty we gained weight. If you follow these helpful tips you will be able to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal and holiday season without setting yourself back too much.
- Portion control: Watch your portion sizes. Fill half your plate with fruits and veggies. Enjoy your favorite holiday treat but take a small portion. When you practice portion control you can enjoy your favorite foods without gaining a pound.
- Chew your food: We tend to woof down our food after two to three bites. This will cause you to have bad digestion, and it will also take longer for you to feel full. When that happens you will eat more, which in turn will make you gain weight. Before swallowing your food, chew 25 – 30 times.
- Walk around there room and engage in conversation: The holidays are the perfect time to catch up with friends and family members you haven’t seen in a while. Keeping your mind on conversation instead of food is a good way to avoid picking on the treats around you. Instead of a sugary drink, opt for sparkling water with lemon. This will keep your hands busy and gives you something to sip on while enjoying a friendly conversation.
- Take a walk: Let the host know you will take an after dinner walk. Ask someone at the event to go with you, it will help you burn some of those thanksgiving dinner calories and likely put you in the right mindset to turn down a second piece of pumpkin pie.
- Help the host clean up: Offer to help clean up, the host will appreciate it and it will also help you burn some calories. Physically removing yourself from the table will keep you from picking at the leftover food and sugary sweets.
- Stop eating when you are full: Most people eat mindlessly during the holidays. We continue to eat even after we are full and end up over stuffing ourselves which leads to weight gain and guilt feelings later.
- Make Black Friday Gym day: Go to the gym the day after Thanksgiving. Instead of feeling like a stuffed turkey on black Friday schedule some gym time so you can burn those Thanksgiving calories. Knowing you are going to the gym the following day to burn off those extra calories from Thanksgiving allows you to splurge without feeling guilty.
Thanksgiving is only one day, but too much splurging often knocks us off our diets and it spirals into the rest of the holiday season. If you eat mindfully and take control you will not set yourself back and you will be able to maintain your weight and stay healthy during and after the holiday season.