Spring is in the air which also means Easter is just around the corner. Most parents would prefer to fill their children’s Easter baskets with healthy treats instead of the traditional sugar laden indulgences. I try to look for fun, creative alternatives to give treats to my nieces and nephews that will not make them feel deprived of the joy of the Easter holiday season. Below is a list of healthy alternatives to fill those Easter baskets with wonderful treats your child will enjoy. Most of these delicious treats can be found online or your local health food store or supermarket.
- Annie’s Homegrown Organic Bunny Fruit Snacks: These individually wrapped gummy treats are a healthy alternative to other fruit snacks. Each treat is made without the use of gelatin. These tasty treats are organic, vegan, and gluten-free. Great for kids with allergies. Made with real fruit juice and packed with 100% vitamin C. Available at Annie’s.com, Amazon.com, and whole foods supermarket. Note: Gummy candies are a choking hazard for little children. These are not suitable for children under age 4.
- Mini boxes of raisins: Raisins are naturally sweet, low in saturated fat and sodium; they contain no cholesterol and are gluten-free.
- Home baked cookies: Anything homemade is always better than store brought. Because you can add natural healthy ingredients.
- Fruit Basket: A Basket filled with seasonal fruit.
- Gnosis Raw Cacao: These delightful raw chocolate treats have a low glycemic index, filled nutrient-dense fruits, nuts and medicinal herbs that make up this wonderful healthy chocolate from Gnosis. https://www.gnosischocolate.com
- EnviroKidz Organic Peanut Choc Drizzle Rice Bars: They are organic, have 0 grams Trans fat, are low sodium, gluten free and have no artificial flavors or preservatives. Plus, 1% of sales go to endangered species or habitat conservation and education for kids. Available at Wholefoods supermarket or Amazon.com
- Figamajigs: Flavors include almonds, raspberries, and mint. This decadent snack is filled with natural ingredients mostly figs, premium dark chocolate, and cocoa. They are low fat, high in fiber and antioxidants and were named healthiest candy of 2006 by Forbes and given the Healthy Snack Award by Shape in 2007. Available at figamajigs.com and whole foods supermarket.
This Easter you don’t have to feel you are depriving your children of the Easter basket candy experience. With these yummy treats, your children can enjoy the sweetness of Easter and you’ll feel good knowing they are eating something healthy.