- Fresh beets (red or golden)- cleaned, skin on
- Brine : 4 cups filtered water + 4 teaspoons salt (non-iodized)
- Bay leaf
- Flavorings (optional): Garlic clove, ginger, fresh herbs
- Glass fermentation container
- Fermentation weight
- ash and trim beets of greens. Leave skins on.
- Cut beets into slices or cubes, as desired.
- Place beets, bay leaf and optional flavorings in the fermentation container, leaving a 1″ space to the top of the neck of the jar.
- Fill with brine, leaving a 1″ space to the top of the neck of the jar
- Add fermentation weight (if necessary). Close jar.
- Leave at room temperature (ideally 55-75˚F (18-22˚ C) ) for 2-4 weeks.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for storage.
Fermentation time: 2-4 weeks ( You can let it ferment for two weeks, the longer you let it ferment the better)