Every year we make New Year’s resolutions based on our health and wellness. We affirm “This year will be different” only to once again not to follow through. Make 2016 the year you actually follow through and achieve your fitness and wellness goals! You will be healthier, look better come beach weather and take less sick days during the year.
- Plan Ahead: If you’re serious about your wellness goals then start writing them down before the 31st and put them in a place you can see them every day. If you wait for the last minute, your goals will be based on how you feel that day and you will more than likely not stick to them.
- Be Realistic: The fastest way to not stick to your goals is to make them unattainable. If you have big unrealistic goals, break it down to smaller goals (chunking) so it can be attainable in time. As you work on attaining the smaller part of that goal it will to build it into the bigger goal.
- Be accountable: Create a plan on how you will deal with the temptation to eat the wrong foods, and not workout. A good way to stick to your resolutions is to find an accountability partner. You can support each other and keep each other accountable.
- Practice positive self-talk: The mind is very powerful! When you practice positive self-talk and positive thinking it will help keep you on track at sticking to your resolutions.
- Treat yourself: By doing this I do not mean go and eat all the Rocky Road ice cream and chocolate cake. What I mean is to celebrate your success by treating yourself to something you enjoy that doesn’t contradict your resolutions. Reward yourself with a new sexy outfit to show off the new you, a massage, movie or those funky shoes you saw. It will make you feel great and keep you excited to continue to succeed at achieving your resolutions.
You owe it to yourself to keep yourself healthy and fabulous! If you fall off track don’t beat yourself up just keep trying and show up for yourself and your health. You will be happy you did come spring and summer and you will set an example for your family and friends.