- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 (1-ounce) slices whole wheat bread
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine apples and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add the sweet potatoes and the next 4 ingredients (sweet potatoes through pepper, use only 1 tablespoon oil).
- Place the sweet potato mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400° for 40 minutes, stirring after 25 minutes.
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup.
- Combine breadcrumbs, 2 teaspoons oil, and nutmeg; sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture. Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until top is golden.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.